Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Ten-ents: Sleep

I'm in the sleep weeds today. We're still at in-laws and yesterday my daughter woke up with an earache. Standard issue stuff, I thought. She immediately perked up with Tylenol, but by mid-afternoon, she was in serious Tylenol-resistant pain. So into the health-care, Good Friday wilds we went: I first stopped at a pediatrician's office. No dice. They were iron-clad in their refusal to accept a walk-in. They recommended an urgent care facility in a huge supermarket mall. Oy. But we didn't have any other choice, so Med Stop it was. But weird part was we had an amazing experience. They took our insurance, we saw a nurse within five minutes and the doctor within 20. And he was amazing with Eve, who is pretty terrified of docs. He prescribed antibiotics, and carefully explained why in most instances he wouldn't, but that this was severe. We got the meds, came home and Eve passed out on the sofa while we had a Greek-style Good Friday dinner. Afterwards I insisted that grandma hold Eve on the sofa; perfectly in time for her to get barfed on. The meds didn't agree. I spent a good hour playing phone tag with docs, then decided to stick with the Tylenol for the night. There were a few more barfing episodes, and Eve and I decided to sleep in the same bed. Rough one. Every time I fell into deep sleep, Eve would kick me in her sleep, or start rubbing her hands all over my face, arms and legs. Why, not sure. Then there were water requests, more Tylenol needed, a total costume change at around 3AM after she wet herself. Finally at 4:20 I threw in the towel, just got up and ate cookies by myself as she snored away. So tired. I've been tired since the kids were born. Will I ever feel rested, long term?

1 comment:

  1. I don't have kids and I'm usually tired, so... not sure I have any quality advice!

    ReplyDelete