Saturday, March 27, 2010

Chez Jonathan Adler & Simon Doonan


K, so this pic is just a wee staged (lamps on your ping pong table)? I really don't care. I love this shot of Jonathan Adler, king of happy decor, at home with Simon Doonan. It's from theselby.com photographer's Todd Selby's new book: The Selby Is in Your Place. I just interviewed Todd last week. I worried he'd be too cool for school and that he could see I'm just a 43-year-old dork on deadline. Not so. He was a sweet heart. Best of all, the book is chock full of amazing design ideas. I admit: At first I had a hard time getting past the fact that every single page is filled with hipsters--hippie hipsters, gypsy hipsters, Euro hipsters, nerdy hipsters, surfer hipsters. A lot of them are holding babies but none of them look tired. I assume they're the kind of people who get babysitters to go to art openings and stay culturally relevant. But I digress: The most important thing about the book is that Selby purposefully picks homes that have DIY edge to them. He told me that he stays away from anything that looks like a decorator was there. Very little matches in these houses; there's lots of stuff thrown together, but lots of idea to steal. http://www.amazon.com/Selby-Your-Place-Todd/dp/0810984865

No comments:

Post a Comment